February 13, 2004

The Mighty Stars "The Mighty Stars Are Go!"

Sometimes you can judge a book by its cover, and The Mighty Stars prove this point quite nicely. Looking at that cover of theirs, you can tell that they're going for a retro pop look, and, for the most part, that's exactly what they're doing. The Mighty Stars are a young band, but don't let that fool ya. They're not what I'd call a retro band, their brand of pop is certainly inspired by crunchy 60's mod rock, 70's mod punk, 80's jangly indie-pop as well as 90's pop punk. Not that I mind, really, because they've got charisma to go along with their songs, and over these five tracks, they've certainly pulled out the charm. I'm convinced! It's chunky and sloppy and fun in only the best of ways, and I'm unsure whether or not I think they need to bother to get better! I'm fond of "Suzanne" and "Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!" the most, but I like 'em all equally. I bet they're a lot of fun live, but until the day they come to your town, The Mighty Stars Are Go! will make you smile. I know I'm grinnin' like a happy moron right now....

--Joseph Kyle

No comments: