March 29, 2006

SXSW Report #30: Oxbow @ Emo's Inside Stage


After This Moment in Black History, I drove back downtown to see Oxbow at the inside stage of Emo’s. This band takes the abrasive, jazz-trained squall of the Jesus Lizard and pushes it to new levels of intensity. I warned the two ladies with me not to get too close to the front, and (fortunately) they listened to me. As their set progressed, vocalist Eugene Robinson took off his pants and unbuttoned his shirt. He mumbled and hollered like a demon-possessed man, occasionally shifting into a pitch-perfect falsetto that sounded even weirder. Before long, Eugene’s hand was all the way down his underwear, and it looked like he was masturbating to the music. As scary as his performance was, it wasn’t entirely humorless. After a particularly vicious song, Eugene told the audience: “I tracked the man this song is about down. When I found him, I discovered that he was in prison for triple murder. I decided to let bygones be bygones.”

No comments: