September 13, 2003

The Foxgloves "Lives You Didn't Leave"

These guys have that whole Smiths obsession thing going on, and though I thought at first such a thing would prove to be a bit annoying, I was gladly proven wrong. Shows what I know, eh. The Foxgloves are Stephen Papercuts and Joe Pines (hello, internet search engine) and their pop roots show through this lovely four-song EP. "I Dreamt That Love Was A Crime" starts off this fine little affair, though it borrows heavily from The Cure's "Lovesong," it still is a wonderful sad song, with a sad little harmonica bit that adds nicely to the whole rainy day vibe. The full-band arrangement is set aside for the sad ballad "You're The Dream I Can't Wake Up From." Wah-ho, an obscuro Morrissey cover follows, "I Know Very Well How I Got My Name," though the only thing that could make their version better is Vini Reiley. They pick up the beat (!!) on the closing "G.U." and automatically I'm waiting, hoping, and upset that the Foxgloves have no more to offer. Oh well, I can't complain much, for you couldn't ask for a finer first-date of a record, really. Can't wait to hear more!

--Joseph Kyle

No comments: