March 20, 2006

SXSW Report #4: Skeletons and the Girl-Faced Boys @ Emo's Inside Stage


After People's set, I returned to the inside stage of Emo's to see Skeletons and the Girl-Faced Boys. I’ve greatly looked forward to seeing ever since I heard their last album Git. However, their set barely resembled the Xiu Xiu-like blend of gamelan, synth-pop and rock that characterized that album. Instead, they played a bunch of long and swirling songs that would've pleased more open-minded jam-band fanatics. Singer Matt Mehlan (who alternated between second drums and third guitar) possessed an ethereal tenor that recalled My Morning Jacket’s Jim James. Whenever one guitarist laid down a funky Afro-beat riff, Mehlan and the third guitarist would scatter atonal chords and shards of noise all over it. It was a disorienting yet danceable experience, one that I hope to relive when they release their next album.

No comments: