January 27, 2006

Spoon "Sister Jack"

Spoon, Spoon, Spoon, Spoon, Spoon. Your last record bored me so. You felt like you were treading water. I couldn’t listen to it all the way through. It kind of saddened me. But I have to hand it to you guys for still having the ability to write a good song here and there, and I can’t begrudge you your success. “Sister Jack” is a pretty good song, even if it does smack of being ‘indie-friendly’ and a little too ‘hip’ for my taste. Can’t fault you for the mainstream success, and that’s a song that will do it, baby. “I Turn My Camera On” is masterfully remixed by John McEntire, and I have to give him credit for giving you some sexy-ass groove. “Sunday Morning Wednesday Night” is pretty good, too, even if it’s definitely B-side material. Of course, I instantly thought “Sunday Morning” and Velvet Underground and I can see you thought that too, because, hey, I guess it’s a tribute or something, because the similarities are there. Bet your core audience hasn’t heard the original, I mean, come on, these kids are young enough to be Lou Reed’s grandkids. There’s also a fancy video for “Sister Jack” on here, too.

Speaking of B-sides, when are you going to release a singles comp? I feel weird treating my copy of “Nefarious” like some kind of rare treasure, and I still regret never buying “Not Turning Off” at 33 Degrees back in the day. Plus, you got some killer songs lost out there, like “Anticipation.” The world needs to hear ‘em, and I bet that a killer singles comp would easily kick Gimme Fiction’s lame ass.

Just something to think about, Britt.

--Joseph Kyle

Artist Website: http://www.spoontheband.com
Label Website: http://www.mergerecords.com

No comments: