February 25, 2005

Channing Cope "Sugar In Our Blood"

Sitting in my bed, listening to Channing Cope's debut Sugar In Our Blood, I can only think of one word to describe it, and it's an unusual choice, but it's true: almost. Here, let me highlight my reasoning for you. When I first heard the record, I almost fell asleep from boredom. I almost chose not to review it, because it didn't move me. I almost didn't give them another chance. Recently when I was rounding up promos to send to one of my writers, I almost sent it away. I almost had room in the package for it, too. The reason I didn't like it was because it seemed almost like every other math-rock band I've heard.
I almost thought I made a mistake when I left it out.

I almost didn't listen to it again, but when I did, I almost flipped. This six-song CD is almost an album; at six songs in less than thirty minutes, it's almost an EP, but as they're calling it an album. . True, the band almost sounds like a generic indie-rock band, but just almost. True, "Support the Mountain" is almost boring, but "Blackbody Curves" and "Parallax" almost make me want to get up out of my sick bed. I almost fell asleep while listening to it again, but that was because of the cold medicine, and not the wonderful music I heard. They almost sound like American Analog Set, and when they do, they almost sound a lot better, because Channing Cope's groove is almost as narcotic as theirs but it's almost poppier, too. "Next Year" is almost a blend of American Analog Set's groove and !!!'s wild funk, and I'm almost convinced that Channing Cope can do no wrong. Sure, there are times they are almost a little generic, but the moments of blissed-out rock are almost enough to make me not mention it. I'm almost willing to overlook those flaws. In fact, I almost wish I hadn't mentioned it now.

I can't believe I almost rejected these guys. I almost made a mistake. I'm almost happy I've had this really nasty cold, as I'm almost certain I wouldn't have bothered to listen to Sugar In Our Blood. This is almost an A+ record, and I'm almost certain they've got a totally brilliant record in them. I'm glad I took that chance again, and I'm almost sorry I held back on these guys. I almost hope you take the time to go to their website and check them out, because if you don't, I'll almost feel sorry for you.

--Joseph Kyle

Artist Website: http://www.channingcope.com
Label Website: http://www.fiftyfourfortyorfight.com

No comments: