June 18, 2004

Summer at Shatter Creek "Sink or Swim"

When I receive a record for review, I try my best not to read other reviews, because I feel it's my duty as a reviewer to offer you my unadulterated opinion. I even tend to avoid reading the press packets, unless it's a band that really strikes my fancy or interesting or I just happen to be bored at the moment. As editor, I want to give you my impression of a record. But, being human, sometimes I slip up, and I did so for this record. It was accidental, I swear; I really wasn't paying attention to what I was reading, but I hadn't really paid attention to the fact that I'd received it, either. So I read a review, and then I read another. Repeat as necessary. I wasn't intending to stray...it just...happened. Forgive me, please.

I soon discovered that everybody's saying the same thing about this record, and, damn it, I have no other choice than to serve to add to the critical Greek chorus. This little limited-edition disc is, as stated in the liner notes, "stripped down versions from the full length due fall 2004." And, of course, I have to say what everybody else has said: DON'T TOUCH THESE SONGS! These five songs are all piano-based, and they're all...really, really sad. Not sad in a 'oh, woe is me' kind of way--sad in a classy, respectable melancholy kind of way. Shatter Creek mastermind Craig Gurwich's voice falls somewhere between Mark Kozelek and Thom Yorke, and this is a good thing, because he writes really moving little songs. Though everything on Sink or Swim is equally touching, I'm most moved by "Rebecca," due in part to some really great vocals that are enhanced by echoes. I might add that this record sounds like what Kid A or Amnesiac could have been as well as what Coldplay will soon be.

This is a really moving little record, and it's one worth the trouble to find. Like the other reviewers, I'm puzzled at how Craig could possibly improve on these songs. If he can do it, hey, more power to him, but as it stands these five little songs are five beautiful little jewels that are perfect because of their simplicity. Why change something when it ain't broke?

--Joseph Kyle

Artist Website: http://www.summeratshattercreek.com
Label Website: http://www.redderrecords.com

No comments: