May 07, 2004

Despistado "The Emergency Response"

I've seen a lot of hype about this young band, and I've seen a lot of praise for this record. Personally, I don't understand why. In the desire to find the Next Big Thing, people assume that having jerky rhythms and danceworthy beats is enough to make you an object d'hype. I can understand where these writers are coming from, because there's an element of fun to be had on The Emergency Response. What else do you expect from a band who titles one of their songs "Can I Please Have An Order of Girl With A Side of Confused?"

Still, these Canadian kids have something going for them: spunk. The Emergency Response is raw and rough and the songs are really rather nondescript--they all kind of blend together in a post-punk vein, none of which stand out above the others, except the closing "Lipstick," which is just downright hot. Hand-claps, funky bass, great singing--it all comes together right here, at the very end, and I can see why Jade Tree's banking on these kids. They've got potential for greatness. It's obvious they're not there yet, but give these kids some time, and I bet they'll release some really amazing music a year or two from now.

--Joseph Kyle

No comments: