June 08, 2006

Sensations "Listen to My Shapes"


Sensations is the side project of The Mother Hips' Greg Loiacono, with help from Paul Hoaglin and Cake's Todd Roper. If you're familiar with the boogie retro-rock of The Mother Hips and the funky, quirky rock stylings of Cake, then you already know what Sensation's debut album Listen To My Shapes will sound like. Not that that's a bad thing, either. These guys have experience making simple, down-to-earth rock, and that's exactly what they've done here. Nothing too terribly earth shattering, but it's still a mellow, lovely affair. I'm fond of the band's laid-back vibe, especially on "Slow to Show," "Halving Me," and I can't get past the catchy rock blast of "My Big Fame." So if you dig the sounds of 70s-era radio rock, then you're sure to find something to love here. (Out now on Camera Records)

Listen To: "My Big Fame"

No comments: