January 15, 2005

Coastal "Halfway To You"

I like pretty, soft music. I like to listen to it when I go to bed, especially after a long, stressful day. Who doesn’t? Well, Coastal’s new record, Halfway to You, certainly fits into my night time sleepytime agenda. Their gentle, unassuming nature makes for a dreamy, restful night, and it doesn’t take me too long to drift off into relaxation once the record starts playing. Normally, saying “this record put me to sleep” might be construed as a bit of an insult, but when it comes to music that’s so slow and lulling like this, I’m sure such a thing is nothing short of a wonderful complement. (Heck, the very first song on the record is called “Until You Sleep,” so I’m not worried about being offensive!) The sweet vocals of hubby and wife Jason and Luisa Gough rub together quite gently, and you feel like you’re privileged to hear their lullabies for each other. Songs like “Eternal” and “Leaves” are utterly dreamy, and I’m having a hard time trying to stay awake just thinking about it.

Considering that Low have all but abandoned their slow-core style, it’s good to know that there’s a band that’s willing to (and capable of) carry on their torch. Coastal is music that’s meant for winter, and their gentle, jazzy ambient style is one that’s quite rewarding—if, of course, you can stay awake and coherent while listening to it!
Lovely.

--Joseph Kyle

Artist Website: http://www.coastalrock.com
Label Website: http://www.words-on-music.com

No comments: