April 11, 2005

Engine Down "enginedown"

Saw these guys a few years ago and I dug ‘em. Back then, they made droned-out rock that was occasionally rather loud and beautifully soft, and their record Under The Presence of Present Tense spent a lot of time on my stereo. This new record, however…is a bit different. A LOT different, actually. It’s as if they’ve decided to go for the emo crowd, and that’s a bit of a shame. Their sound is a lot poppier, with a sound that’s reminiscent of bands like Brand New and Jimmy Eat World. Seriously. I didn’t recognize them at first. I mean, it’s cool if this is the direction they choose to go, but it’s a bit of a shock for those who know their earlier sound. Oh, there are some good moments, too; I really dig “In Turn” and “The Walk In,” and the overall sound of Enginedown isn’t unlistenable. It’s just a bit of a shock that I’m not sure I’m ready to admit that I like it just yet.

--Joseph Kyle

Artist Website: http://www.enginedown.com
Label Website: http://www.lookoutrecords.com

No comments: